Here I am again putting in my 2 cents.
When I get online, I usually just read the titles of the news articles on yahoo, sometimes I click sometimes I don't.
One story in particular caught my attention, regarding a thin model's remarks about loving her bones.
The headline read "Thin's Model rare plea" I was like, I wonder what she is pleading for? to end world hunger? end abuse towards animals? Immigration? (the model is from Australia)
So I clicked on the article and to my surprise it was about weight and body issues, Really?
As I started reading I understood her point of view and I feel the same way she does.
Why do we (we as an society) want to impose our way of thinking on others and make people like what we like?
I am overweight, have been most of my life and trust me I did not like it, and still do not like it!!!
I had issues with my weight and low self esteem. I hated watching all the thin girls wear the clothes I wanted to fit into.
The reality is I do not like dangerous curves! Trust me I have some very dangerous curves! I am NOT talking about dangerous as an small waist and then a curve that leads into a large well rounded bottom.
I am talking about a dangerous hanging roll that literally covers my private parts! (Sorry for the TMI)
Anyhoo, I don't like those inspirational pictures with quotes that say stuff like "meat is for men, bones are for dogs" or "that is love" and a picture of a fat girl with a thin man is in the background. I think that type of campaign is unhealthy and irresponsible.
I wish I was closer to being a bone than all of this extra meat I have to wash on a daily basis. Most overweight people will agree, and if they don't, they are lying. According to prweb.com The weight loss industry is worth over 60 billion dollars a year. I wonder why? Well if we think about it, it is because fat people hate being fat!
If you google weight gain industry, there is none! there is no market for it, unless you are a body builder.
Please don't get me wrong, I love the fact that I can walk, talk, see, touch and smell (smell with my nose OK! I took a shower already) I am all for loving your self, I wish I could have loved my self when I was a teenager, as I love my self now, it would have made a word of difference in my life. Even though I do not like my fatness that I still have I love who I am and that is nice to feel.
Both extreme ends of the body weight spectrum are bad in my opinion, but I have to say that being on the end of the fat ass side of the spectrum is much worse than being on the thin side of the spectrum.
The Model in the article made some valid points, why is it so hard for us fat people to hear that we are fat? why is it ok for us fat or chubby people to call a thin or very thin person a bone a skeleton or a stick?
This fat empowerment campaign ever since it was started has been just a way for fat people to justify why they have no control over their eating habits. I understand some people are overweight because of medication, disease, or some other unfortunate situation. For those individuals my heart goes out to them because it must be hard, harder than just a "healthy" fat person that likes to eat junk food.
I don't like being overweight, not just because of the obvious (rolls and thick, really thick thighs) but because sometimes I feel I have no control over my cravings or obsession with certain kinds of foods. Society as a whole really does not like self indulgent behaviors, like cheating spouses, alcoholism, lying politicians, or fat people that eat everything. It all boils down to self-control. I mean I know even though I am fat, I can be faithful, when I drink I know when to stop, and I hate to lie, actually I am a really bad liar, I have control over those things. When it comes to food, now that is a different story.
Imagine running a social campaign to accept and understand cheating spouses? or a campaign to accept the behavior of a thief or liars? or anything of that nature? We would be appalled and there would be some sort of organized group or groups pushing for the destruction of such campaigns.
What I mean is, if you are happy being overweight by all means; damn! I wish I could feel that way. But please do not shove it down my throat that I have to love my fatness because you do, or that the opposite sex (or same sex) has to like you because you say so. Or that I have to love thin people because they too deserve love, I want to feel like I want to feel and I am hoping we let people love themselves how they are fat,skinny, short or tall.
In my opinion the Australian model in the news article is too thin, but that is my personal taste in people, I am not telling that girl to gain weight or loose weight or anything. If she were to meet me, She would probably think (actually she WOULD think) I'm obese, and I am cool with that because I am, I own it and I am hoping one day I will shed it.
I like men with some meat, key word "some" I would still love my husband if he had a huge beer belly but my personal preference in men is some meat on them. Does this make me want to go and push my "some meat" agenda on society? No, that is what I like and that is what I feel I will keep on liking. I hope you know what you like and hopefully no one will tell you otherwise.
Bottom line is we should not promote obesity, we should promote self confidence, without bashing the opposite of what we are.
No comments:
Post a Comment